20 Tips Before Dating a Latina
Dating a Latina: One of the most common questions we get is "What is like dating a Latina?" or how to ask one out. There's some articles stereotyping Latinas, but we're going to tell you the truth. Latinas are women. And just like ALL women we have our similarities. But our culture and upbringing is what makes us different. And unique. Here's 20 things not to do or worth noting before dating a Latina...
1. Do NOT call us "spicy". Listen buddy, just because we add spice to your life, it doesn't make us a condiment.
2. Family is SACRED to us. Yes, some of us may not speak to some of our relatives and perhaps we don't like one or two cousins. But that's not a green light for you to say anything negative about them. We LOVE family (even if we don't like a few of them). Home is where family is. So, if your Latina gal is having problems with a family member, here's what to do: listen, provide emotional support, and stay NEUTRAL. For your sake.
3. She may be LOUD or the QUIET type, but for certain she'll be VIVACIOUS. Some of us are loud. Some of us are very quiet. From the introvert to the extrovert there's one thing we can't escape from—vivaciousness. Latinas love life! And she'll let you know, whether in public or private, you'll see her true colors.
4. Latinas are NOT lazy. Latina women love to work. Whether it is at a job or their passion. From the artist and full-time mom to the executive. We take our jobs seriously!
5. Latinas are Passionate. They love and live passionately.
6. They get LOTS OF ATTENTION. You MUST be CONFIDENT. Latinas are beautiful and sexy. From the way they talk and WALK to the way they carry themselves. They will get a lot of attention as many Latinas are confident in themselves. I have a friend who dumped his Latina lady. She's beautiful, smart, and kind. When I asked him why, he said, "I can't deal with all of the attention she gets!" Be mindful of this.
7. They are OUTSPOKEN. Latinas are honest and straight up. They may have a difficult time sugarcoating things. Don't expect them to be tactful 100% of the time. The truth is harsh, but it always comes out to the light. Honesty is our best policy.
8. They make the BEST out of every situation and can be compassionate. If you ever have a problem, she's someone you can trust to build you up when life gets tough. Some also like to help others. So don't be shocked if you see many Latinas in helping professions.
9. NOT all Latinas are DANCERS. Lots of Latinas love to dance. For sure. But not all of them do. So don't suggest a "club" or ask her if she knows "salsa". However, if she does love to dance, you better work on getting some dancing lessons!
10. NOT all Latinas know how to cook. Some Latinas cook SO GOOD that you would want to marry them on the spot. While others don't know how to boil an egg. Don't assume she can cook, there's a 50/50 chance she might not know how to.
11. Latinas make great businesswomen. They know what they bring to the table. Yet, Latinas are the least paid of women. They earn $0.54 out of the dollar that a White man earns. Whether is not getting opportunities be it due to education, jealousy (let's not kid ourselves, we contend with envy too!), racism, or whatever, many Latinas are taking the entrepreneurial route.
12. Don't question their faith. Whether she's a Christian or Agnostic, respect her beliefs. Don't try to make her change her mind. If she gets curious or wants to convert into your religion, she'll do it at her pace.
13. She'll be your ride or die... Dating a Latina is like dating your best friend. If she's loyal and genuine, you can count on her in both the good and bad times.
14. Latinas are both Street-Smart and Book Smart. Books make you intelligent. The streets make you wise. Expect both from a Latina.
15. Before dating a Latina you should know they like adventure. Even the most quiet Latina loves adventures. Whether it's taking her to her favorite library (in Paris) to going to the beach in the middle of the night for a swim, you'll never get bored. We guarantee it!
16. We're exotic. Some Latinas get offended by the term. But the truth is no one can tell where we are from. We have very unique looks. Many of us are mixed as well. The combination of races makes people unsure what are they ethnically. A Latina will tell you her roots.
17. She loves her culture. Many Latinas as Americanized as they may be, still love the music, literature, language, dances and food from their culture. From the arts to a Latino holiday, these are the things she's proud of and loves.
18. Kindness will take you FAR. Do not be aggressive, disloyal, fake, or rude. She will cut you off quick. Be kind.
19. She will have STYLE. If you're thinking of dating a Latina you should know they appreciate the beauty in everything. She may be into fashion, hair, makeup, home decor, photography, styling, etc. One thing for certain is that be it her home or image, it will be aesthetically pleasing.
20. She might NOT speak Spanish. Lots of Latinos speak Spanish. And lots of Latinos do NOT speak Spanish. So don't try to impress her with your Spanish. She will not understand you.